- Most importantly, make sure you keep in contact with your program advisor! We’re here to help you through the entire process so no question is too small and nothing is too much trouble. If you need help with your visa, advice about booking your trip, are worried about a certain aspect of travel, whatever it is we really want to help and ensure that you’re feeling great about the program and destination before you leave. The country.
- Make sure you’ve sent over all the necessary documents to your INTERNeX advisor; usually an updated resumé, passport photo, signed policy form and contract are necessary to get the application on the right track.
- Research and apply for your visa if applicable. Some programs don’t require this step but many do. Your advisor will let you know what Visa you should be applying for. Even if you have to wait to apply, make sure you know what you need in advance to prepare for when you should send it off.
Top tip: Don’t forget to include a self-addressed pre-paid envelope so the embassy can send back your approved visa
- Book your flight! As soon as you know the date you want to go get booking. Some sights we recommend are Skyscanner, FlightHub and Hotwire.
- Connect with us on social media – we post regular updates about destinations, trips, program tips and lots more on our Facebook, Twitter and Youtube pages.
Its often cheaper to exchange money in your home country, so look at the rates of different exchange bureau’s to get the most bang for your buck.
- Research – discovering new things, meeting new people and getting out and about is great and highly encouraged, however it is good to learn more about a destination before you travel to ensure a successful trip. What’s the weather like to help you pack?, what’s the currency you need to exchange? What is considered polite etiquette? What transport links are there to get around? What’s the number to call in an emergency? All these answers could prove helpful whilst away.
Remember: know before you go!
- Ensure you leave plenty of time to pack. Look up the weather report before leaving. Will your destination be snowy? Are you travelling in rainy season? Is it going to be over 30 degrees? Being prepared can save you a lot of money buying repeat items at your destination. Its always worth looking at the exchange rate and seeing if its cheaper to buy certain products like shampoo, deodorant and toothpaste at the destination to save money and precious luggage space. If in doubt ask one of the INTERNeX team about destination advice.
Top Tip: Don’t forget travel adaptors for your electronics, and remember electronic voltages are different abroad; it might be easier to leave your straighteners and hairdryer at home than buying them at your destination.
- Make sure before you leave you have photocopies of all your documents: passport, visa, health insurance, contract and landing itinerary.
- Lastly; it’s fine to feel all kinds of feelings from excitement to anxiety, being overjoyed to being scared of the unknown. Sometimes the whole process can be overwhelming but all of these feelings are normal and nothing to be ashamed of. Just remember you are not alone! Talk to someone; your new manager, your friendly program advisor, good friends and family all want to be there for you to make sure you have a good time so don’t be afraid to reach out whatever you are experiencing. We’re here for you.